Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Snow Sensory Bin with Arctic Animals

We are slowly getting over our colds here. I mean slowly.  This has been by far my worst cold in a long time.  Ok, I am done whining.  Since we haven't been able to get outside to play in the snow I thought I would bring some inside!

We've had snow covered grounds for two weeks now.  I love it and it looks so pretty!  But, our temps are supposed to rise this week. Worried the snow would melt, I didn't want to miss out on doing this snow sensory bin as part of Arctic and Antarctica month. 
I bought the Arctic Animal Toob from Michaels.  They are around $8.99 but, I used a 40% off coupon.
The Arctic Toob includes:
polar Bear
harp seal
beluga whale
walrus
arctic hare
caribou
acrtic fox
igloo
musher
eskimo

I filled a large plastic tote with snow. I had this one filled with t-shirts under the bed :)
I added two containers of water.
At first, I added one warm and one cold. We experimented with adding snow to each. 

I showed them how the snow melts faster in the warm water and very slowly in the cold water.   

 The snow was all melted in the morning.  Plus, it was still freezing cold! 

I filled it back up with snow this morning.  


As they played in the snow with the animals we talked about the types of animals that live in the arctic.  The animals that don't live in the arctic.  Plus, Inuits (Eskimos) and their homes.










4 comments:

  1. We love the animal Toobs here. The kids spend so much time playing with them. Looks like a fun morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toobs are awesome. My girls love them and also took them in the tub! I can't wait to get more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been making all sorts of "fake snow" sensory bins. We just got snow this morning and I can't wait to have real snow in our bin. We will have to get the arctic animal toob from Michaels (although I said I was done buying little animals - I think that is the only animal toob we don't have).
    Thanks,
    Sara
    www.BrainstormInBloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been making all sorts of "fake snow" sensory bins. We just got snow this morning and I can't wait to have real snow in our bin. We will have to get the arctic animal toob from Michaels (although I said I was done buying little animals - I think that is the only animal toob we don't have).
    Thanks,
    Sara
    www.BrainstormInBloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete